Sunday 19 September 2010

The Forth Plinth

The new forth plinth in Trafalgar Square is inspiration to me because of the use of historical material and textiles. I have researched Yinka Shonibare for past project and i love the use of his native African textiles that originates from Manchester. 


I find this piece amazing because of my past love for the artist, and as I associate it with a childhood of floating paper boats on rivers. 
The piece to me is all about the historical references, the ship in the bottle is a replica of Lord Nelson flag ship from the battle of Trafalgar. 


I particularly love this photograph of mine as it captures the essence of the piece; the historical reference to Lord Nelson that meets the new contemporary art of Yinka Shonibare.   

No comments:

Post a Comment