Sunday 19 September 2010

Exposed; Voyeurism, Surveillance and the Camera

Over the summer I visited the the Tate exhibition 'Exposed; Voyeurism, Surveillance and the Camera'. The exhibition was curated effectively, i particularly loved the use of black walls as it created an automatic tense atmosphere. When walking around the exhibition i found myself watching other people as i found the relationship between the viewer and the exposing images to be truly voyeuristic. 

As i am researching the ideals of love a found this piece by Yoshiyuki  particularly revealing, not of love but of lust (which to me is a form of love connection). 

The third person in the photograph becomes the first viewer, the camera the second, the viewer the third and i almost felt like the four, watching people within the gallery react to the work. This overlapping layers of viewers to me demonstrates the essence of Voyeurism. 

Another image that i found when conducting further research was from a photograph competition for the YoungTate  
 http://www.tate.org.uk/youngtate/exposedcompetition/inspiration.htm  


This image is a beautiful representation of affectionate love. I am wanting to research the hidden touches of affection and how i could represent this within my work. I am wanting to create the majority of my work through the medium of textiles which I believe has a 'loving touch' which will create an underlining meaning to my work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment